1. Make Sure Your Bins Are Configured For E-WasteIt all depends on what items you’re collecting. For example, batteries are very heavy so you need to keep the capacity of the collection stream fairly small. Home Depot, a CleanRiver client, added battery collection to their outdoor recycling units, so we custom built a smaller stream inside their waste containers for batteries. [caption id="attachment_5206" align="aligncenter" width="600"]
2. Designate A Disposal Area For Larger E-Waste ItemsSome items are very large so you should designate a central collection area in your organization. At our CleanRiver offices, we have large gaylord bins available all year round so that people can dispose of their large e-waste items such as monitors or television screens.
3. Follow The 3C Process For A Successful E-Waste Recycling Program:
- Culture: Everyone needs to be onboard with the program, it needs to be driven from the top down. Encourage employees to bring e-waste in from home. This keeps e-waste out of the landfill, and also lets you generate income from the e-waste rebates.
- Communication: Let everyone know about your new program. Show them where the bins are and tell them your goals for the program. Make sure your e-waste bins are clearly marked and have the same look and feel as the rest of your recycling program.
- Collection: Either retrofit your current bins so that you can add an e-waste stream or purchase new bins that fit with your program. CleanRiver Transition® bins can be retrofitted to add or remove streams.
4. Find An E-Waste Hauler That Meets Your Disposal Needs
As with all recycling programs, regions across North America vary greatly in terms of what electronic items can be recycled. Find out if your waste hauler offers e-waste collection and, if so, how does that affect your contract. Reach out to local e-waste companies in your region as most will provide you with a rebate for your e-waste because it contains valuable materials within the electronic components.For more information on implementing an effective recycling program, check out our past blogs How Many Different Bins Do I Need For My Recycling Program? and 5 Risks To Consider Before Starting A Recycling Program.
CleanRiver Recycling provides a variety of innovative, flexible and customizable recycling solutions. To determine the right solution to meet your needs, use the CleanRiver product selector. If you have additional questions that weren’t answered in this blog post please call us at 1-888-646-4246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.